Choosing a DogDogs are all different (like snowflakes!) and different dogs, especially different breeds of dogs, require different care. There isn’t enough space to share everything you need to know about every breed or type of dog but we can go over some basics & direct you where to look.
Make sure you research your particular breed as best you can. You might be thinking “How can I research a mixed breed dog?” Just do your best to determine what category or categories your dog fits in.
Your dog was most likely bred for a purpose such as:
- Sporting/Hunting- whether it be rats (Terriers), birds (Retrievers) or Hounds
- Guarding (Mastiffs, Bulldogs etc.)
- Sledding (Siberian Huskies)
- Herding (Border Collies, Cattle dogs)
- Tracking (Beagles, Bloodhound)
- Companion Dog (Bichon, Chihuahua)
- Non-Sporting (Poodle, Chow Chow)
Here’s a few sites to get you started:
- Ceasar Milan’s Types of Working Dogs
- Dogs A-K Animal Planet
- Dogs L-Z Animal Planet
- Breed Research: How Your Dog’s Breed Affects Behavior
- Breed Selector–Animal Planet
What to expect from your new dog
Content on its way!